Friday, April 20, 2012

Remember the 80's

Do you remember the 80's?     

 I sure do.   It's not because I was born in the 80's or because I was raised in the 80's, it's because that period of time was just so. . .well . . . radical, tubular, awesome, and bad!

Acid Wash jeans, leggings, headbands and BIG HAIR were all the rage!  The music was phenomenal!  Especially the hair band movement!  Thus why the big hair bands of the 80's are on constant repeat in my MP3 player.   Yes I gave up my Walkman, put away my tapes and upgraded, as did every other person in the world when technology became more hi-tech and innovative. I still remember the introduction of CD players! And when the Nintendo was the coolest gaming system ever!  Bye Bye Atari!

I was literally a child of the 80's.   I played with cabbage patch dolls, sang every song with Rainbow Brite and the My Little Ponies.   I shouted "We Care"  at the movie theater screen when the Carebears asked me if  I cared, and of course dressed up as She-Ra for Halloween.    I still had most of my toys too, until I became hard up for money and sold them all on EBAY.   My brother had He-Man toys, GI Joe soldiers, vintage star war toys, and a Rubix Cube!  (For you men out there!)

There was a time where I sat in front of my television, when there still was Saturday Morning Cartoons, watching Shirt Tales, Rainbow Brite, Thundercats,  Popples, Wuzzles, Pound Puppies, and She-Ra.
Fond Memories . . .

Obviously the 80's were so amazing that they are bringing them back!   Most of the old shows were released on DVD or on Netflix for the new generation of children to watch.   My kids are in love with the Gummi Bears and He-man/She-ra.     Remakes of tv-shows into movies such as the A-Team and 21 Jump Street have graced the big screen within the last couple years.   How about the 80's movies?   Can we say AWESOME!   Do you remember when Molly Ringwald was the teen sensation?  Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles!!!  All in my collection of course!  Hopefully I am not going OVERBOARD like Goldie Hawn did, but I must admit I absolutely love the 80's. 

Here are some important Key moments in 80's History . . . .

1980 - John Lennon is Assassinated
1981 - The New Plague has been finally identified as AIDS.    MTV makes it's first Broadcast.  ( Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles was the first Video ever aired.)
1982 - Michael Jackson releases the album Thriller!!!!
1983 - Sally Ride becomes the first American Woman in Space.
1984 - PG-13 Movie rating is released
1985 - Both the Hole in the Ozone layer (too much hairspray) and the wreckage from the Titanic is found.
1986 - Challenger Space Shuttle EXPLODES!
1987 - DNA is first used to convict criminals.
1988 - Microsoft launches Windows 2.1
1989 - The Berlin Wall Falls (David Hasselhoff ranks supreme!)  Exxon spills millions of gallons of oil into the ocean.  :(

The 80's were awesome!  It brought out great music, shows that will forever be held in my heart like Saved by the Bell, and  Knight Rider.   Movies that will never leave my collection . . .   and memories that will last a lifetime.

I remember the 80's  Do you?


WHAT'S FOR DINNER:   Frozen Pizza

SONG OF THE DAY:

Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Autopsy