Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for the Goonies, Glee, The Giver, Genevieve, and the Go Go's


Movie:


Goonies never say die!  And neither will this blog as I trudge on this A-Z quest.  Like the Goonies this blog always seems to be an adventure during the A-Z challenge. So what better movie is there to represent G then the Goonies, after careful consideration of a few other amazing 80's teen movies of course. (Yes I am a complete 80's movie nut!) The Goonies will always be one of my favorite movies.  I love the unique cast of quirky and loveable kids who set out on an adventure after finding a old pirate map in an attic. The Goonies are a bunch of misfits, from a fat, loveable, clumsy kid named Chunk who always seems to be getting himself into trouble, and is the master at the Truffle Shuffle. To Data, the resident inventor whose inventions never work properly.  Mouth is the fast-talking, sarcastic, antagonist whose mouth is always moving. Mikey is the wheezy leader of the group who encourages everyone to go on the quest.  Their adventure starts in an old run-down restaurant that is currently being inhabited by escaped criminals.  In order to start their quest they must slip past these baddies and get into the sewer. (Well Mikey's older brother finds them and tries to bring them home with two girl he picked up a long the way.) This is where the fun starts.  Goonies is a classic 80's film that speaks to all sorts of age groups.  It has the right amount of comedy, and story-line to keep you entertained for hours. 
The



Television:


Glee is a popular t.v. show played on Fox.  I used to be obsessed with this show when it first came out then slowly characters started disappearing from the show.  (R.I.P. Corey Moneith). Now the show seems to be pulling for viewers, and this will be it's last season from what I hear.  Anyways the show is about a glee club formed by Mr. Shoester, and is constantly opposed by Sue Sylvester, the Glee is the music.  From popular songs now playing on the radio, to the classics like Journey's Don't Stop Believing, Glee has dabbled in every music genre.  One of my favorite songs ever performed on the show was Forget You, which is originally by Ceelo but sung by Gwyneth Paltrow. I also enjoyed the Glee version of the song Mean by Taylor Swift. I wish the show didn't lose so many influential characters, now it just seems redundant and the stories are getting horrible.
opinionated Cheerleading coach whose only goal is to shut down the glee club for good. (Plot inserted here) One thing I will always love about

Book:

So I have to be honest. I didn't really have an interest in reading until recently. I decided since I want to pursue becoming a published author I better start reading stories in the genre's of the books I wan to write.  So guess what that means?  Yup you guessed it!  I haven't read a book that starts with G. In fact there are quite a few letters that will be missing a book that I have read.  So I decided the best way to rectify this situation is to pick a book in the YA/NA world that is on my to-read list.  So one of the books I'm writing, I have been told, mirrors somewhat along the lines of The Giver. Though I have never read the book it is one that I want to read for the sole fact that supposedly my story is a lot like it.  Which is funny since I haven't read it.  The Giver is about a boy who lives in a society where they have eliminated pain and strife by invoking something called Sameness.  The boy Jonas is chosen as being the receiver of memories from the Giver who he finds out is able to manipulate some of the stipulations placed in their society like turning off the speaker which listens to people's conversations.  The Giver was written by Lois Lowry in 1993and received a Newberry Medal in 1994.  The book sounds really interesting and is on my to-read list. Hopefully soon I will be able to read it.


My Book:




Finally!!! I get to introduce Genevieve my main character and the star of my YA book!  Genevieve is a very important character to me, I think it's because Genevieve was sort of written based on me. The story is purely fiction! (so no this is not a true story) But it's hard not to write characters without you putting a little of yourself in all of them. Genevieve is a slightly overweight and an extremely intelligent girl whose whole life revolves around her education.  Her dream is to get into Dartmouth, the school where her father went, and also to become Valedictorian of her high school.  Though Genevieve is only a little overweight her not-so-skinny body makes her extremely self-conscious, and over critical. She constantly puts herself down, and calls herself ugly, and fat and doesn't believe that any boy would ever be interested in her. Genevieve is naive and romantic she is always reading romance novels, and constantly daydreams about her own personal life.  The book is set around her junior and senior year and follows her along as she dabbles in the mysterious world of being in love for the very first time.  I love Genevieve as a character, she is the right mix of spunk, humility, and innocence.  She is faced with many difficult decisions throughout the book and grows so much from each one. I hope everyone falls in love with Genevieve just as much as I have!

What's For Dinner:  Crab cakes and fish sticks (for the kids)

Song of the Day.

Go Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Autopsy